Founder, JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery, American Winery of the year award recipient by Wine Enthusiasts.
Victor’s career started as a KP for his father Charlie Yu in 1989, before moving to front of house then starting in the kitchen as a chef at the age of 22. Combined with the skills learnt from his father, collaborations with other well- known chefs, and travels across Asia, Victor honed and refined his style, becoming head chef at 28.
After opening Yu & You in Horwich in 1989, the Yu’s opened the doors to the award-winning Copster Green in 2004. Winning “Best Chinese Restaurant” in the UK by Gordon Ramsey, the restaurant quickly earned a sterling reputation which has only grown in momentum over this past decade.
Fillet of Grouper with Ginger Spring Onion Pesto
1 Large Fillet of Grouper
1 Large Fillet of Grouper 100g Fresh Ginger
½ Teaspoon of Fresh Garlic
1 Teaspoon Salt
Vegetable Stock Cube
100ml Vegetable Oil
Light Soya Sauce
White Pepper Coriander Fresh Chilli
1. Blitz Together Spring Onions, Ginger & Garlic in a Food Processor until the texture of course paste
2. Add into this mix your Salt, Crumbled Stock Cube & Sesame Oil
3. Heat up 100ml of Vegetable oil and then pour onto your mix – place to one side to cool
4. Score the skin side of your Grouper and place into a Bamboo Basket or equivalent Steamer
5. On Top of Fillet add One teaspoon of your Pesto and spread evenly over your Grouper Fillet
6. Steam your Fish for around 6 Minutes
7. Whilst Steaming add two tablespoons of light soya sauce with 2 tablespoons of water along with a dash of white pepper and finally a dash of sesame oil
8. To Finish season your fish with the soya sauce mix and garnish with Spring Onion, Coriander & Fresh Chilli
Victor Yu Salt & Pepper Mushrooms
200g Wild Mushrooms
½ Diced Shallot
1 Spring Onion Chopped
¼ Red Chilli Chopped
1 Clove Minced Garlic
1 Tea Spoon of Salt & Pepper Mix
1. Heat Oil in wok
2. Place Wild Mushrooms in Oil and Fry off until Golden Brown in Colour – once cooked remove from wok and drain.
3. In wok add in your shallots, Onions, chilli and fry until soft
4. Re-Add the mushrooms to the Wok to walk back through.
5. Finally Add in your Salt & Pepper Mix and cook through one last time
6. Serve with Fresh Spring Onion on Top to Garnish